Monday, February 24, 2014

unit 5 reading assignment

Unit 5 Chapter 8. “The Farmer and the Cowman Should Be Friends”: It is hard to get people to agree on where to go for lunch let alone have a civil discussion on how a project should work. To many hands stirring the pot can burn the soup or something like that. Essentially if too many people are fighting against each other the project will fail, if not enough people are looking to compromise then the web design can fail. In the end usability is key to every thing. We can make a beautiful site, but have 0 usability, and that makes designers cry blood. Chap 9 Usability testing on 10 cents a day: Keeping testing simple—so you do enough of it I remember back in my wee days as a young sailor in the Great Mistake…. Errr Great Lakes near Chicago, IL there was a mall that many other young sailors would frequent. Many times there were people who would wrangle us in and ask us to sit through a briefing and told them what we thought of the product, or how we liked certain things. I did not realize it at the time, but I found out I was being used! Used for usibility testing, how could I show my face in decent public again? How could I live with myself after being used by… by… developers! I look back and laugh at the people trying, nay begging us to look at their product. Some times bribing young sailors with money or gift cards. I may had been more attentive now that I understand the importance of the almighty testing phase. I like how the testing is a pretty informal project, it will let the facilitator open the floor and record the actions that the tester goes through. Is the navigation simple, does the site make sense? So many things, and little things go into achieving a functional and good looking website.


 Link 1, my personal hero, the man the breakfast the Oatmeal: How a website goes straight to hell
Link Dos XX: Even the government has gotten a feel for usability: see what they want to make you believe...BELIEVE

and in third place: Focus Group vs Usability testing

No comments:

Post a Comment